Perkins Exit Counseling
Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, ID
Federal Perkins Loan
The primary purpose of this loan counseling session is to help you to better understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. You will also learn about deferment and cancellation benefits that the Federal Perkins Loan program offers.
Northwest Nazarene University is pleased to offer you this online interactive exit loan counseling through Mapping Your Future. NNU will receive e-mail notification when you have completed your counseling session.
If you have an outstanding Federal Perkins Loan at another institution you may be able to coordinate the minimum monthly payment amounts. Contact me at (208) 467-8534.
Also, we cannot stress enough the importance of budgeting for your student loan payments now even though you have a grace period. Budgeting now will help you to not overspend during the six-nine month grace period and then have problems later when loan payments begin.
If you have questions about the Federal Perkins Loan program you may contact the Student Loan Office by telephone at (208) 467-8534. You may also stop by the office during regular office hours. We are located in the Administration Building, Business Office Room 101. Your questions can also be submitted by e-mail at the end of the exit counseling session.
Viewing this presentation does not fully complete your exit requirements. A packet has been/will be mailed to you containing important documents you must complete, sign, and return to the NNU Business Office.
Northwest Nazarene University is the lender of your Federal Perkins Loan. We contract with ACS Education Services (ACS) to perform the billing and accounting for this loan program. You may access your loan online at www.acs-education.com. After registering your account with ACS you will be able to view your account, make payments, and download deferment and cancellation forms. A loan disclosure statement providing ACS's address and telephone number is included in your packet that NNU has/will mail to you.
One other item, you may access your student loan information (all of your federal loans, not just your Perkins loan) online at www.nslds.ed.gov, follow the Financial Aid Review link.
The information above is wholly the product of the school or organization represented herein.
Mapping Your Future, and its individual sponsoring members, do not guarantee
or warrant the correctness, completeness, accuracy, or any other characteristic
of this content and shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or cause of
action arising out of the content.
Perkins Exit Counseling Session Instructions
Before You Start
Ensure you meet the browser and system requirements:
PARENTS: Please don't complete the counseling session on behalf of your son or daughter, as this federal requirement helps the student understand the rights and responsibilities of borrowing a student loan.
- You must use at least Internet Explorer 7.0 or the newest version of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Get a browser now.
- You can use any Internet service provider (ISP) to connect to the Internet; however, you should access this counseling session using one of the browsers above after you've connected. Do NOT use the ISP's browser, such as AOL or MSN--you won't be able to complete the student form at the end of the session!
- If you encounter that the question numbers are not displaying correctly when you answer a question incorrectly, ensure that Java is enabled on your browser and try another browser (such as Firefox or Chrome), if the issue persists.
You will need about 25 minutes to complete this counseling session.
You will need the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver's license number
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your parent, if applicable
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your spouse, if applicable
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and employers for two references residing at different addresses
You might need the name, address, telephone number, and employer for your next of kin.
NOTE: Providing names and information for your spouse, parent, next of kin, and references does not obligate them to assist with repayment of your loan. Regulations require you provide this data so your loan holder can locate you, if, in the future, they have an invalid address or phone number.
The student loan calculator in this session will help you calculate your estimated monthly payment. If you aren't sure how much you'll borrow, you can ask your school for the average student loan indebtedness of borrowers at the school or in your program of study at the school.
What to Do
- Read the content and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions you have for your school.
- Print the confirmation page that appears after you fill out the student information form or note your confirmation number for your records.
NOTE: Generally, the Back and Forward buttons on your browser will not work once you begin the counseling session. Use the buttons within the counseling to navigate.