Mapping Your Future: Online Counseling
Perkins Exit Counseling
University of Maryland - Baltimore County
Welcome to the University of Maryland, Baltimore County's online Exit Loan Counseling for Federal Perkins Loans!
The U.S. Department of Education requires all Federal Perkins Loan borrowers to complete exit counseling upon graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time status (less than 6 credits) at UMBC. This loan counseling reviews your obligations and provides helpful information on how to avoid defaulting on your Federal Perkins Loan.
Please note that successful completion of this online exit counseling session is only part of the exit process. You must also sign and return to Student Business Services the Loan Repayment Schedule and Disclosure Statement mailed to you.
Failure to complete this exit counseling session and/or return the required forms will cause a hold to be placed on your records at UMBC. This means you will not be able to receive your diploma, register for future courses, or receive copies of academic transcripts until the exit process is completed.
If you have any questions regarding exit counseling, please contact:
UMBC Perkins Loan Office
or submit a Help Ticket through http://sbs.umbc.edu/contact-information-internal/
The information above is wholly the product of the school or organization represented herein.
Mapping Your Future, and its individual sponsoring members, do not guarantee
or warrant the correctness, completeness, accuracy, or any other characteristic
of this content and shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or cause of
action arising out of the content.
Perkins Exit Counseling Session Instructions
Before You Start
Ensure you meet the browser and system requirements:
- You must use a recent version of a commonly used browser, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- If you encounter that the question numbers are not displaying correctly when you answer a question incorrectly, ensure that Java is enabled on your browser and try another browser, if the issue persists.
PARENTS: Please don't complete the counseling session on behalf of your son or daughter, as this federal requirement helps the student understand the rights and responsibilities of borrowing a student loan.
You will need about 25 minutes to complete this counseling session.
You will need the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver's license number
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your parent, if applicable
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your spouse, if applicable
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and employers for two references residing at different addresses
You might need the name, address, telephone number, and employer for your next of kin.
NOTE: Providing names and information for your spouse, parent, next of kin, and references does not obligate them to assist with repayment of your loan. Regulations require you provide this data so your loan holder can locate you, if, in the future, they have an invalid address or phone number.
The student loan calculator in this session will help you calculate your estimated monthly payment. If you aren't sure how much you'll borrow, you can ask your school for the average student loan indebtedness of borrowers at the school or in your program of study at the school.
What to Do
- Read the content and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions you have for your school.
- Print the confirmation page that appears after you fill out the student information form or note your confirmation number for your records.
NOTE: Generally, the Back and Forward buttons on your browser will not work once you begin the counseling session. Use the buttons within the counseling to navigate.
© 2023 Mapping Your Future, Inc.