Repair and open locks; make keys; change locks and safe combinations; and install and repair safes.
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using keycutting machines.
- Keep records of company locks and keys.
- Insert new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combinations.
- Move picklocks in cylinders to open door locks without keys.
- Disassemble mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repair or replace worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Repair and adjust safes, vault doors, and vault components, using hand tools, lathes, drill presses, and welding and acetylene cutting apparatus.
- Install safes, vault doors, and deposit boxes according to blueprints, using equipment such as powered drills, taps, dies, truck cranes, and dollies.
- Open safe locks by drilling.
- Remove interior and exterior finishes on safes and vaults, and spray on new finishes.
- Realistic - Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
- Conventional - Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.
- Education - These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
- Training - Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Experience - Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.
- Coin, Vending, and Amusement Machine Servicers and Repairers
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Motorboat Mechanics
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers