Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance.
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
- Design, develop and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan computer specifications and layouts, and peripheral equipment modifications.
- Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to determine hardware configuration.
- Determine system performance standards.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technicians
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Computer Support Specialists
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Drafters
- Mathematical Technicians
- Numerical Tool and Process Control Programmers