Install, configure, and support an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet system or a segment of a network system. Maintain network hardware and software. Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. May supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Train people in computer system use.
- Load computer tapes and disks, and install software and printer paper or forms.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Analyze equipment performance records to determine the need for repair or replacement.
- Maintain logs related to network functions, as well as maintenance and repair records.
- Research new technology, and implement it or recommend its implementation.
- Maintain an inventory of parts for emergency repairs.
- Coordinate with vendors and with company personnel to facilitate purchases.