Financial literacy tips provided throughout the month of April
By Beth Ziehmer
April 30, 2019
Throughout the month of April, Mapping Your Future offered the following tips highlighting some of the money management tools and applications offered on the website:
- April is financial literacy month. Take these 30 steps for financial wellness!
- Don't be caught off-guard when your student loans go into repayment. Estimate what your student loan payment will be under the standard repayment plan.
- You work hard for your money - pay yourself first. Learn how to save money and see how fast your balance can grow!
- A budget doesn't restrict you, it makes more things possible. Use the budget calculator to learn how to create a budget.
- Know what it takes to be your best financially. mappingyourfuture.org/money/fitnessquiz.cfm
- "A good financial plan is a road map that shows us exactly how the choices we make today will affect our future." Alexa Von Tobel
- Don't let your student loan debt get out of control, learn how to manage it.
- How you pay for college will vary based on your unique situation, but it is important to learn more: mappingyourfuture.org/paying/
- Learn how to balance your checkbook, even if you bank online.
- Estimate how much you can borrow with Mapping Your Future's debt/salary wizard.
- Should I repay my debt or invest my money?
- Can't pay your bills and need help? Consider consumer credit counseling. www.moneymanagement.org/
- "Financial freedom is available to all those who learn about it and work for it." Robert Kiyosaki
- Use any tax refund you receive to help pay existing bills or start or enhance your savings.
- Tips to start teaching your kids about money www.moneymanagement.org/blog/2017/05/Introducing-financial-literacy-to-children.aspx
- All federal student loans are not the same. The loan programs have different terms, limits, and agreements. Learn more.
- Temporarily unable to make full payments and don't qualify for a deferment? Ask about forbearance.
- If someone asked about your student loan repayment terms, would you know how to answer?
- Can't afford your student loan payment? There are other repayment options if you qualify.
- "Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth." Margaret Thatcher
- Making a purchase? If you can't find a coupon, ask at the checkout if they have any coupons or discounts to share.
- Have student loans with more than one loan servicer? Determine who holds your loans.
- Not able to pay your student loans? Consider deferments to temporarily suspend your payments.
- Why should you care about your credit score? Learn why it's important and how to improve it. #creditscore
- Use the savings calculator to see how your money can grow.
- Live within your means! Don't spend more money than you earn. Make sure you have a budget and that you follow it.
- "Financial literacy is just as important in life as the other basics." John W. Rogers, Jr.
- Learn how to avoid student loan delinquency and default.
- Thank you for joining Mapping Your Future for financial literacy awareness month. mappingyourfuture.org/money
Follow Mapping Your Future on Twitter and like Mapping Your Future on Facebook for more daily tips on various topics related to planning and paying for college, as well as other professional development topics.