Tips to encourage students to complete the FAFSA
June 05, 2019
Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are more likely to enroll and graduate in college, according to data from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Knowing that a college degree contributes to a successful life, then completing the FAFSA is an important step for students.
As a school counselor, you can encourage your students to complete the FAFSA by doing the following:
- Help your students envision the future by participating in Mapping Your Future’s Guide to Life after High School.
- Set up a FAFSA completion event in a school computer lab.
- Let your students know they can get one-on-one assistance and answers to their FAFSA questions by calling Mapping Your Future at 1-800-374-4072.
- Provide information about FAFSA preparation events.
- Learn more about financial aid by visiting MappingYourFuture.org.
To see statistics on how many students at your school have completed the FAFSA this year and to compare those statistics to previous years or to other school districts in your state, go to studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/data-center/student/application-volume/fafsa-completion-high-school.
Contact the Mapping Your Future staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-374-4072 for more information or assistance.