September tasks for high school seniors
By Beth Ziehmer
September 01, 2021
The college preparation that takes place during your senior year is filled with a lot of details and paperwork. Therefore, it is very important that you stay organized and involve your parents with this process.
During your senior year, you will finalize your college choice. This year is filled with admission applications, scholarship essays, financial aid information, and the need to meet deadlines. Throughout your senior year, continue to build your resume by achieving academic success, as well as participating in extracurricular activities. Colleges are interested in well-rounded students.
Below are the tasks you should complete during the month of September:
- Mark your calendar with registration, admissions, and financial aid deadlines and fees.
- Create separate folders for each of the schools that interest you and keep the materials organized.
- Begin writing drafts of your college essays.
- Start completing early admission college applications.
- Meet with school representatives who visit your high school.
- Look at virtual tours of college campuses online.
- If you haven't already taken the SAT and/or ACT, register for the test(s).
- Attend college planning and/or financial aid information nights and college fairs.
- Ask employers, teachers, and guidance counselors for letters of recommendation to accompany your admissions applications.
- Set up your FSA ID (and your parent will need one, too) by Creating an account on StudentAid.gov so you can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as October 1.