August tasks for high school seniors
By Beth Ziehmer
July 29, 2022
Starting your senior year is an exciting time.
During your senior year, you will finalize your college choice. This year will be filled with admission applications, scholarship essays, financial aid information, and the need to meet deadlines. Throughout your senior year, continue to build your resume by achieving academic success, as well as participating in extracurricular activities. Colleges are interested in well-rounded students.
The college preparation that takes place during your senior year is filled with a lot of details and paperwork. It is very important that you involve your parents with this process.
Below are the tasks you should complete during the month of August:
- Review your career plans and decide which type of postsecondary school is best for you.
- Save money from your summer job for college.
- List your top college choices.
- Request admissions information and school catalogs.
- Go on college visits, possibly virtually.
- Collect letters of recommendation from your teachers to include with your college applications.
- Start brainstorming about ideas for your college essays.
- Continue to take challenging courses during your senior year.
- Stay focused on maintaining or increasing your GPA.
- Obtain registration materials and test dates for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and/or ACT assessment.
- Compare costs of each school that interests you by contacting the colleges by phone, mail, or via their websites.
- Visit Going2College for information about career, college, and financial aid resources in your state.
Visit the complete Senior year college planning calendar.