Your free and neutral resource on career, college, financial aid, and money management
Learn how to learn
Now is the time to concentrate on improving your skills as a student. If you practice the following tips, you may find you enjoy your classes more:
- Sit close to the front of the classroom when possible.
- Join in class discussions.
- Ask questions. If you don't understand something, chances are others in the class don't understand either.
- Keep up with class assignments. Finish them before they're due.
- Ask for help in any class in which you find yourself falling behind. Remember, your teachers want to help you succeed!
- Look for ways to sharpen your basic skills in each class. You can practice your writing skills in history, your algebra skills in science, and your math and science skills in vocational education classes.
- Learn keyboarding skills so you can type your own schoolwork and use a computer.
- Learn to take good class notes. You'll be taking lots of notes during the rest of your life.
- Learn to proofread, correct, and rewrite your written work.
- Develop test-taking skills. Your counselor and teachers can show you how to get started.