The most important trait of successful students
January 08, 2019
College is a time you can do what you want when you want.
After all, you are an adult now, and no one is telling you when to go to bed, when to get up, when to eat, or when to do anything.
For many young adults, college is the first taste of freedom. However, with all the freedom comes responsibility and the students who succeed in college are the ones who are able to handle that responsibility.
The key trait for a successful student is discipline:
- Disciplined students know to get plenty of rest and do not stay up all night when they have an 8 a.m. class.
- Disciplined students study every day and do not wait until the night before an exam to prepare.
- Disciplined students read the class syllabus and understand class requirements and assignment due dates.
- Disciplined students manage their money carefully and do not spend their entire semester budget in one month.
- Disciplined students take responsibility when they face a problem and do not expect a parent or guardian to fix it for them.
Disciplined students know that succeeding in college means making some tough decisions for yourself. Yes, college is a time when you can do what you want when you want, but successful students know that it comes with the responsibility of doing what you should when you should.