Perkins Exit Counseling
Welcome to Walsh University’s on-line exit counseling for the Perkins Student Loan. The Department of Education and Walsh University require that you complete this session when you cease to be enrolled at least half time at Walsh University. Please note that Perkins Exit counseling is separate from Direct/Stafford Loan Exit Counseling. If you have both Direct Stafford Loans and Perkins Loans, you are required to undergo both counseling sessions. (Exit counseling for Direct Loans is done via the website studentloans.gov.)
UNISA, our loan servicer, will move your Perkins Loan from an in-school status into your nine month grace period. During this time, no interest will accrue. During your nine month grace period, UNISA will send you notification of your pending repayment status.
It is imperative that you keep UNISA informed of your current address and phone numbers at all times! Remember, your Perkins Student Loan is reported to a national credit bureau. It is our utmost desire to see you maintain a great credit rating! Contact UNISA often to verify the status of your Perkins Loan!
If you will be enrolled at least half time at another institution, it is your responsibility to make sure UNISA receives your enrollment verification from your new school. Usually the registrar's office at your new school provides this information electronically. However, if the registrar's office does not report electronically, this means you will have to file a paper deferment form each and every term!
Please contact Walsh University’s Student Service Center at 330/490-7195 or via email at email@example.com with any questions or concerns you may have.
We also suggest utilizing the web site www.nslds.ed.gov to assist you in monitoring your overall student loan debt both now and in the future.
The information above is wholly the product of the school or organization represented herein.
Mapping Your Future, and its individual sponsoring members, do not guarantee
or warrant the correctness, completeness, accuracy, or any other characteristic
of this content and shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or cause of
action arising out of the content.
Perkins Exit Counseling Session Instructions
Before You Start
Ensure you meet the browser and system requirements:
- You must use a recent version of a commonly used browser, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- If you encounter that the question numbers are not displaying correctly when you answer a question incorrectly, ensure that Java is enabled on your browser and try another browser, if the issue persists.
PARENTS: Please don't complete the counseling session on behalf of your son or daughter, as this federal requirement helps the student understand the rights and responsibilities of borrowing a student loan.
You will need about 25 minutes to complete this counseling session.
You will need the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver's license number
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your parent, if applicable
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your spouse, if applicable
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and employers for two references residing at different addresses
You might need the name, address, telephone number, and employer for your next of kin.
NOTE: Providing names and information for your spouse, parent, next of kin, and references does not obligate them to assist with repayment of your loan. Regulations require you provide this data so your loan holder can locate you, if, in the future, they have an invalid address or phone number.
The student loan calculator in this session will help you calculate your estimated monthly payment. If you aren't sure how much you'll borrow, you can ask your school for the average student loan indebtedness of borrowers at the school or in your program of study at the school.
What to Do
- Read the content and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions you have for your school.
- Print the confirmation page that appears after you fill out the student information form or note your confirmation number for your records.
NOTE: Generally, the Back and Forward buttons on your browser will not work once you begin the counseling session. Use the buttons within the counseling to navigate.