Convert project specifications and statements of problems and procedures to detailed logical flow charts for coding into computer language. Develop and write computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information. May program web sites.
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages to handle specific jobs such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving data, or controlling other equipment.
- Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Write, analyze, review, and rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, and symbolic logic.
- Write or contribute to instructions or manuals to guide end users.
- Investigate whether networks, workstations, the central processing unit of the system, or peripheral equipment are responding to a program's instructions.
- Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language.
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer.
- Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
- Assign, coordinate, and review work and activities of programming personnel.
- Collaborate with computer manufacturers and other users to develop new programming methods.
- Train subordinates in programming and program coding.
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Computer Operators
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Computer Support Specialists
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Numerical Tool and Process Control Programmers
- Operations Research Analysts