Details for Motorboat Operators
Operate small motor-driven boats to carry passengers and freight between ships, or ship to shore. May patrol harbors and beach areas. May assist in navigational activities.
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Follow safety procedures to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- Operate engine throttles and steering mechanisms to guide boats on desired courses.
- Oversee operation of vessels used for carrying passengers, motor vehicles, or goods across rivers, harbors, lakes, and coastal waters.
- Secure boats to docks with mooring lines, and cast off lines to enable departure.
- Service motors by performing tasks such as changing oil and lubricating parts.
- Arrange repairs, fuel, and supplies for vessels.
- Maintain equipment such as range markers, fire extinguishers, boat fenders, lines, pumps, and fittings.
- Organize and direct the activities of crew members.
- Report any observed navigational hazards to authorities.
- Issue directions for loading, unloading, and seating in boats.
- Clean boats and repair hulls and superstructures, using hand tools, paint, and brushes.
- Tow, push, or guide other boats, barges, logs, or rafts.
- Take depth soundings in turning basins.
- Perform general labor duties such as repairing booms.
- Position booms around docked ships.
- Realistic - Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
- Enterprising - Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.
- Conventional - Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.
Education, training, experience
- Education - These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
- Training - Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Experience - Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity
- Locomotive Engineers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
- Truck Drivers, Light or Delivery Services