Research, design, develop, and test operating systems-level software, compilers, and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific, and general computing applications. Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements. Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Design and develop software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements and resolve customer problems.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals and technical issues such as software system design and maintenance.
- Advise customer about, or perform, maintenance of software system.
- Coordinate installation of software system.
- Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Confer with data processing and project managers to obtain information on limitations and capabilities for data processing projects.
- Prepare reports and correspondence concerning project specifications, activities and status.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
- Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Utilize microcontrollers to develop control signals, implement control algorithms and measure process variables such as temperatures, pressures and positions.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
- Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technicians
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Computer Support Specialists
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Drafters
- Mathematical Technicians
- Numerical Tool and Process Control Programmers