Details for Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
Help painters, paperhangers, plasterers, or stucco masons by performing duties of lesser skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Clean work areas and equipment.
- Perform support duties to assist painters, paperhangers, plasterers, or masons.
- Apply protective coverings, such as masking tape, to articles or areas that could be damaged or stained by work processes.
- Erect scaffolding.
- Fill cracks or breaks in surfaces of plaster articles or areas with putty or epoxy compounds.
- Supply or hold tools and materials.
- Smooth surfaces of articles to be painted, using sanding and buffing tools and equipment.
- Mix plaster, and carry plaster to plasterers.
- Place articles to be stripped into stripping tanks.
- Remove articles such as cabinets, metal furniture, and paint containers from stripping tanks after prescribed periods of time.
- Pour specified amounts of chemical solutions into stripping tanks.
- Realistic - Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
Education, training, experience
- Education - Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Training - Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training. Usually, an experienced worker could show you how to do the job.
- Experience - Little or no previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, a person can become a waiter or waitress even if he/she has never worked before.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance