Mapping Your Future: Online Counseling
Perkins Exit Counseling
University of North Dakota
Welcome to the University of North Dakota Perkins exit counseling session!
Exit counseling is required when a student drops below half-time attendance or graduates from an institution where the student borrowed a Federal student loan, regardless if the student plans to return to the same school or transfer to another higher education institution.
You can access basic loan information with your federal PIN number through the NSLDS web site at www.nslds.ed.gov. For Perkins Loan repayment questions call the Student Loan Service Center at 1-800-698-7397.
Below is information regarding two loan forgiveness programs for North Dakota residents:
The Technology Occupations Student Loan Program will reduce student loan indebtedness by up to $1,000 per year up to a maximum of three years for those who have graduated in a technology-related field, completed an internship with a business located in North Dakota, and been employed in a technology occupation in North Dakota for one year. More information regarding the Technology Occupations Student Loan Program can be found at http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/students/financial-aid/details.asp?id=467.
The Teacher Shortage Loan Forgiveness Program will reduce student loan indebtedness by up to $1,000 per year up to a maximum of three years for those who teach at a grade level or in a content area identified as a teacher shortage area by the superintendent of public instruction. More information regarding the Teacher Shortage Loan Forgiveness Program can be found at http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/students/financial-aid/details.asp?id=430.
Best wishes to you in your future!
The information above is wholly the product of the school or organization represented herein.
Mapping Your Future, and its individual sponsoring members, do not guarantee
or warrant the correctness, completeness, accuracy, or any other characteristic
of this content and shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or cause of
action arising out of the content.
Perkins Exit Counseling Session Instructions
Before You Start
Ensure you meet the browser and system requirements:
- You must use a recent version of a commonly used browser, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- If you encounter that the question numbers are not displaying correctly when you answer a question incorrectly, ensure that Java is enabled on your browser and try another browser, if the issue persists.
PARENTS: Please don't complete the counseling session on behalf of your son or daughter, as this federal requirement helps the student understand the rights and responsibilities of borrowing a student loan.
You will need about 25 minutes to complete this counseling session.
You will need the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- Your driver's license number
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your parent, if applicable
- Name, address, telephone number, and employer for your spouse, if applicable
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and employers for two references residing at different addresses
You might need the name, address, telephone number, and employer for your next of kin.
NOTE: Providing names and information for your spouse, parent, next of kin, and references does not obligate them to assist with repayment of your loan. Regulations require you provide this data so your loan holder can locate you, if, in the future, they have an invalid address or phone number.
The student loan calculator in this session will help you calculate your estimated monthly payment. If you aren't sure how much you'll borrow, you can ask your school for the average student loan indebtedness of borrowers at the school or in your program of study at the school.
What to Do
- Read the content and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions you have for your school.
- Print the confirmation page that appears after you fill out the student information form or note your confirmation number for your records.
NOTE: Generally, the Back and Forward buttons on your browser will not work once you begin the counseling session. Use the buttons within the counseling to navigate.
© 2021 Mapping Your Future, Inc.