The military develops skills such as leadership, perseverance, and discipline. In addition, servicemembers might be eligible for education benefits and training that could transfer to the civilian world:
U.S. Armed Forces education benefits
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Montgomery GI Bill "Kickers"
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Tuition assistance
- Student loan repayment
- Army College Fund
- Navy College Fund
- Navy CASH Program
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits (for example, "Chapter 31" vocational rehabilitation for veterans with service-connected disabilities)
- State-specific benefits for veterans
Education benefits vary for the different branches of service:
- United States Army
- United States Air Force
- United States Navy
- United States Marine Corps
- United States Coast Guard
- Army and Air National Guard
If you're considering the military, contact your local military recruiter to obtain detailed information on requirements, obligations, and benefits before making a decision..
Current troops and families: Student loan repayment may be one of the issues on your minds. Read more about your options.