Help for borrowers who help others
December 13, 2018
Student loan borrowers who dedicate their career to helping others now have a new tool to help them with Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
The Department of Education has announced the availability of a new PSLF tool at StudentLoans.gov/pslf.
The PSLF Help Tool will:
- help borrowers understand more about the PSLF Program and what is needed to participate and possibly have their loans forgiven;
- help borrowers assess whether their employer qualifies for PSLF;
- help borrowers assess whether their loans qualify for PSLF;
- help borrowers decide which PSLF form to submit; and
- use the information we have about borrowers' federal student loans to explain other actions borrowers should or must take if they want to receive PSLF.
At this time, the PSLF Help Tool will not allow a borrower or a borrower's employer to electronically sign the forms that the tool will generate for the borrower. Therefore, to complete the PSLF Help Tool process, the borrower will need to print the PDF document that the tool generates, sign it, have the employer sign it, and then submit the form to FedLoan Servicing as instructed on the printed PDF document.
If borrowers have questions about the PSLF Help Tool, they should contact FedLoan Servicing at 1-855-265-4038 from 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday.